Jiangsu University is a provincial university located in a beautiful and well-known historic and cultural city on the southern bank of the Yangtze River, Zhenjiang. Jiangsu University is one of the key universities in China and is among the first batch of colleges and universities that are authorized to confer doctor degrees, master degrees and engineering master degrees. Jiangsu University ranks among the top hundred universities in China in terms of comprehensive school-running ability.
Jiangsu University was established through the combination of Jiangsu University of Science and Technology, Zhenjiang Medical College and Zhenjiang Teachers' College with the permission of the Chinese Ministry of Education in August, 2001. . It renamed Jiangsu University when merged with two colleges in the same city in 2001. Its main institution was the former Jiangsu University of Science and Technology, which was one of the 88 key universities designated by the State Council in 1978. Its history began with Sanjiang Normal School founded in 1902, which evolved and renamed Liangjiang Normal School in 1906, Nanjing Higher Normal School in 1915, National Southeastern University in 1921, Disi Zhongshan University in 1927, Jiangsu University in February and Central University in March 1928, and Nanjing University in 1949. Nanjing University Engineering College became Nanjing Polytechnic Institute in 1952 and then in 1960 a part of it became independent and moved to Zhenjiang next year and later became Jiangsu University of Science and Technology. At present, Jiangsu University has 26 Colleges, 83 undergraduate programs,in 9 academic field involving Engineering, Science, Medicine, Art, Economics, Law, Management, Pedagogy and History. With 280 professors and 850 associate professors, and an enrollment of more than 40,000 students, of whom about 7500 are postgraduates. Jiangsu University has an area of 203 hectares. The main campus is as beautiful as a painting and has been called "Eastern Suburb Garden" in Zhenjiang.
Since the beginning of this century, School of Clinical Medicine has undertaken rapid development. It is made up of a Research Center, a Teaching Experimental Center and 8 departments. Jiangsu University has 9 affiliated hospitals spreading in Jiangsu Province, Shanghai and other cities. Among them, Jiangsu University Affiliated Hospital is founded in 1936, is the largest and advanced comprehensive hospital in Zhenjiang. It is of the top level in China with 1000 beds open to patients. And the Zhenjiang First People's Hospital is founded in 1922, formerly a American Christian hospital. Now it has evolved into a multi-functional hospital of first class. It has 1200 beds and 1.5million outpatients per year.
The university has established long-term cooperative relationship with 44 universities and educational or research institutions in America, England, Germany, Australia, Thailand, Japan, Russia, France, Italy, Korea, India, Singapore, Sweden, Austria, Ghana and Denmark. It has jointly founded Confucian Institute with Karl Frances University Graz (Austria), jointly offers master programs with Magdeburg University (Germany), and jointly runs pilot international courses class with Leeds University (England).
MBBS program was started in 2005 and 3 batches of the students have graduated from the school obtaining their diploma and graduate certificate. Each year about 90 international students from India, Africa, Canada and Pakistan etc 16 countries come to study MBBS. In 2011, the Ministry of China formally declared Jiangsu University as the qualified university to offer MBBS program in English. Jiangsu University is recognized by WHO and the graduates of MBBS program are eligible to take the Medical Licensing Examinations held by the medical councils in different countries such as MCI, PMDC, USMLE, HPCSA, SCHS etc.