The Huazhong University of Science and Technology (HUST) is a public, coeducational research university located in Wuhan, Hubei province, China. As a national key university, HUST is directly affiliated to the Ministry of Education of China. HUST has been referred as the flagship of China's higher education system after Chinese Civil War. HUST manages Wuhan National Laboratories for Opto-electronics (WNLO) at Wuchang, which is one of the five national laboratories in China.
Huazhong University of Science and Technology was founded as a result of the merger of the former Huazhong University of Science and Technology, the former Tongji Medical University, the former Wuhan Urban Construction Institute, and the former Wuhan Science and Technology Vocational College on May 26th, 2000.
In June 1953, the land south of the East Lake was chosen as the campus of South-Central China Institute of Water Conservancy and Electric Power. The same year, the South-Central China government decided not to establish an independent South-Central China Institute of Power Engineering. All the programs related to power engineering were administered by Huazhong Institute of Technology. The institute formally opened on October 15, 1953.
All the programs and departments at HIT were organized and formed from the programs related to electrical engineering, power engineering, electricity and mechanical engineering in Wuhan University, Hunan University, Guangxi University and South China Institute of Technology. HIT's first classes were held in spaces at those institutions. There were eight undergraduate programs, 314 full-time faculty members and 2,639 undergraduate students at that time.
In 1971, most of the Wuhan Mechanical Institute was merged into the institute. Six departments were established. There were 20 undergraduate programs, 1,097 faculty members. The number of undergraduate students reached to 6,087.
Graduate students began to be enrolled in 1978, and in 1984, the institute became one of 22 universities to be approved by the State Council to establish a graduate school. By approval of the State Education Committee, the institute was renamed Huazhong University of Science and Technology in 1988.
With China's global strategy and the reform of the economy, HUST led a series of pivotal reforms among technical institutions in China. HUST is the first technical school to establish the Department of Journalism and Communication, the Department of Economics, and Department of Literature, and to host nation-wide lectures in humanities.
On May 26, 2000, the former Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Tongji Medical University , Wuhan Urban Construction Institute and Wuhan Science and Technology Vocational College combined to form the new Huazhong University of Science and Technology the Chinese name was changed, but the English name remained unaltered.
Medical College History
The history of Tongji Medical College can be traced back to 1907 when Tongji German Medical School was founded by Erich Paulun in Shanghai. The name Tongji suggests cooperating by riding the same boat. In 1927, with the development of the institution, it expanded to include engineering programs. After the establishment of National Tongji University in 1927, the Tongji Medical College was affiliated to the university as one of the schools. In 1950, the medical school was moved to Wuhan from Shanghai and merged with Wuhan University School of Medicine to become South-Central China Tongji Medical College. The college was later renamed as Wuhan College of Medicine in 1955, as Tongji Medical University in 1985, and as Tongji Medical College of Huazhong University of Science and Technology in 2000.
There are four libraries at HUST: the Old Library, the Shaw Library (New Library), the Medical Library and the Architecture Library. The Old Library and the Shaw Library are located in the center of main campus. The Old Library was designed and constructed in Soviet-Union style in the 1950s. It plays a major role in book circulation and conference hosting. It also provides classrooms for audio-video teaching program and some group-study programs. The first floor of the east wing is the Center for Reader's Services, which is a branch of University Bookstore System. The Shaw Library was donated by Sir Run Run Shaw and built in 1990s. It has more than 30 reading rooms, including Chinese/English social sciences reading rooms, Chinese/English natural sciences reading rooms, Chinese/English archive reading rooms and electronic journal reading rooms. It also houses a multi-media center and a major branch of Center for Computing & Networking. Medical Library is located in Tongji Medical Campus in Hankou. It provides the same services to the medical students as the libraries in main campus. The Architecture Library is on the east side of the main campus. It accommodates books and journals in architecture and urban planning.
- Wuhan Union Hospital
- Wuhan Tongi Hospital
- Wuhan Liyuan Hospital
- Xiangfan Hospital
- Jinzhou Hospital
- Children's Hospital, Wuhan
- Wuhan No.1 Hospital
- Wuhan Institute of Psychiatry
- Wuhan Cape (Puai) Hospital