AKAKI TSERETELI STATE UNIVERSITY
kaki Tsereteli State University is located in a city of ancient history and rich cultural traditions. Kutaisi State University has won an outstanding academic reputation for excellent educating and upbringing generations of Georgian people. Since its foundation more than 170 thousand students have graduated from the University. Among them are the well-known statesmen, politicians, scientists, writers, the representatives of cultural and educational fields, sportsmen and others. It is also is one of the country 's oldest higher education institutions with a wide range of educational programs and research directions. Akaki Tsereteli State University is ranked 2nd best Medical University in Georgia. It is also ranked among the first class schools by the World Health Organization (W.H.O). School fee is 4,250 Euros for the first year and 3,500 Euros for subsequent years. The history of Akaki Tsereteli State University started seven decades ago and now it is the university distinguished with its traditions throughout Georgia and which holds an honorable place in the business of cultural, intellectual and moral education of Georgian nation.
The University Vision
Implement high-quality educational programs at each level of higher education;
Promote the development of the vocational education system through modern vocational education programs;
Conduct modern and actual scientific research;
Take account of the priorities of the social, economic and cultural development of the region and the country for the educational and research activities;
Support the inculcation of humanism, democracy, national and international values upon the society.
Kutaisi Akaki Tsereteli State University was actually formed on the basis of Tbilisi State University. In 1918 under the direction of the great son of the Georgian nation Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University was founded. In July, 1930 the government abolished the Tbilisi State University and on its basis four independent higher education institutions were created. One of them was State Pedagogical Institute, which starting from that period to 1933 was functioning in Tbilisi.
Under the resolution of January 8, 1933, the Tbilisi State University was restored. And the mentioned Pedagogical Institute moved to Kutaisi and continued functioning here from February 13 the same year. In 1933-1990 it existed under the name Aleksandre Tsulukidze State Pedagogical Institute. The institute was accommodated in the city center, in the building were before a Real College was functioning. On the first academic year (1933) up to 700 students who had moved from Tbilisi to our town were studying in their first and second years at the Pedagogical Institute founded in Kutaisi. Following them their professors came to work to Kutaisi. In different years the following people worked and delivered lectures at the university: Giorgi Akhvlediani (1887-1973), Aleksandre Baramidze (1902-1994), Kote Bakradze (1898-1970), Ivane Beritashvili (1884-1974), Niko Berdzenishvili (1894-1965), Angia Bochorishvili (1902-1982), Levan Gokieli (1901-1975), Varlam Topuria (1900-1966), Ivane Kacharava (1894-1977), Korneli Kekelidze (1879-1962), Niko Ketskhoveli (1897-1982), Mate Mirianashvili (1906 - 1975), Shalva Nutsubidze (1888-1969), Mikheil Sabashvili (1900-1979), Dimitri Uznadze (1886-1950), Aleksandre Prangishvili (1907-1989), Simon Kaukhchishvili (1895-1981), Akaki Shanidze (1887-1987), Vasil Chantladze (1904-1995), Arnold Chikobava (1898-1985) etc.
In 1990 the higher education institution was transformed to Kutaisi Akaki Tsereteli State University, which was the logical conclusion of the great accomplishments done successfully by this institution during almost six decades of its existence. The Kutaisi N. Muskhelishvili Polytechnic Institute was officially given the status on September 23, 1973 and the opening ceremony was held on September 1, 1974. The establishment of the new institute in Kutaisi was preceded by many years of preparatory period. In 1946 study and consulting point of Georgian Polytechnic Institute was opened in Kutaisi, which in 1953 was
transformed to evening and correspondence learning faculty. In 1968 the internal department was added and the institute became Kutaisi Faculty of the Georgian Polytechnic Institute. In 1974 on the basis of the Kutaisi Faculty a Polytechnic Institute was opened, which was granted the name of the academician Niko Muskhelishvili in 1977. The priority majors of the higher education institution are considered: Light, Textile and Food Industry Engineering. The first departments opened were: Philosophy, Higher Mathematics, Graphics Engineering and Drawing Geometry, Physics and Applied Technical Mechanics. Gradually the number of the departments increased and Electric Technology and Textile Industry, Food Technology and Economics Departments were added. The learning and material-technical basis and light industry laboratories were expanded and improved. The transportation, engineering mechanics and electric technology faculties were opened. On September 21, 1992 Kutaisi N. Muskhelishvili Polytechical Institute was granted the status of the university and was named Kutaisi Niko Muskhelishvili State Technical University.
As a result of preparation of employees, high level of scientific potential and the relationships with the scientific centers of highly developed countries the university gained the conventional recognition. The history of Akaki Tsereteli State University started seven decades ago and now it is the university distinguished with its traditions throughout Georgia and which holds an honorable place in the business of cultural, intellectual and moral education of Georgian nation. According to the Georgian government 's resolution #39 as of February 23, 2006 the legal entities of public law Kutiasi Akaki Tsereteli State University and Kutaisi N. Muskhelishvili State Technical University were united into one, the educational status being determined to be the university and was named Akaki Tsereteli State University.
Medical Accreditation and Recognition
. Akaki Tsereteli State University Faculty of Medicine was recently listed at the International Medical Directories (IMED)
. World Directory of Medical Schools (WHO/WHO)
. Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research (FAIMER), International Medical Education Directory (IMED)
. And it also became a member of:
. An International Association of Medical Education (AMEE)
About MD at Akaki Tsereteli State University
Akaki Tsereteli State University started to run at the Faculty of Medicine the English-speaking interna- tional quality Medical Degree (MD) program, in which we have 135 for- eign students, the University has University Clinic, which is one of the best clinics in Western Georgia and we also actively collaborate with other leading clinics in the city too.
Educational program involves 360 ECTS credits. One credit is equal to 25 academic hours and ends with final qualification exam. Program duration is 6 academic years, 12 Semesters (15-15 aca- demic weeks), maximum 22 aca- demic contact hours per week.
Tuition Fee (MBBS) - USD 5000/Year.
2nd year - USD 4500
from 3rd to 6th year - USD 4000